Solicitors For Children and Parenting Issues

The breakdown of a relationship frequently leads to disputes about where the children should live and what contact they should have with the other parent. In some cases, the dispute extends to whether the children should have contact with extended family members such as grandparents or which school they should attend.

If the children are living with you, you may wish to have a structured arrangement in place setting out what contact they should have with the other parent. Equally, you may be having difficulty seeing your children following the breakdown of a relationship.

We are experienced and understand the sensitive nature of these situations. We can advise you on the various options available to you, as well as the consequences they would have for both parents and the children. We will advise you of your legal rights and responsibilities and where appropriate, support you through negotiating an amicable solution that puts the interests of your children first. This may prevent the need for costly and lengthy court proceedings.

In some cases where agreement cannot be reached or where there are issues such as domestic violence, drug or alcohol abuse that may cause harm to the children, court proceedings may be required. We are experienced in making court applications to determine issues such as:

  • Where the child are to live and who the children are to spend time with (known as Child Arrangement Orders)
  • Orders preventing the other parent from taking your child abroad (known as Prohibited Steps Orders)
  • Specific issues such as which school your child should attend (known as Specific Issue Orders)
  • Application to remove your child permanently from England and Wales (known as Leave to remove)

We can also assist in advising fathers with respect to obtaining Parental Responsibility where possible by agreement with the mother and where necessary making an application to the court for a Parental Responsibility Order.

Parental Responsibility refers to the rights, duties and responsibilities a parent has in relation to a child and his property. There are important legal consequences to a parent having parental responsibility such as being able to make decisions about a child’s welfare, accommodation, education and medical treatment.

Mothers automatically have parental responsibility. Father’s married to the child’s mother and fathers registered on the child’s birth certificate (where the child is born after 1 December 2003) will also have Parental Responsibility.

For help and advice please contact Tayo Taylor on 020 3667 4783 or email at