Taking or granting a new commercial lease
We will work with you and any agent or other third parties to gain you occupation of your chosen premises, whether that is an office, shop, nightclub or café/takeaway, as quickly as possible.
We provide legal and commercial advice and do our very best to find practical solutions to the issues that can arise when planning a move to a new premises.
We act for a range of clients, including national corporations with property portfolios and businesses of all sizes leasing, buying or selling premises as their operations demand.
If you are taking a lease, we will advise you on the suitability of the terms you have agreed, we will carry out searches to make sure that there are no issues such as a lack of planning permission or a council policy that could be bad for business and we will use our experience and expertise to ensure that the lease you sign up to is as favourable as possible.
What to consider if you are taking a lease:
- Is permission needed to alter the premises?
- What will your repairing obligation be?
- Will you be able to terminate, assign or subet the lease if you no longer need it?
- Is a Schedule of Condition required?
- Is a structural survey required?
- Is there stamp duty land tax to pay on the rent?
- What are the legal costs?
- How much will it be to register the lease at the land registry?
If you are granting a lease, we will ensure that the lease adequately protects your rights and interests and is tailored to your and your property’s particular circumstances.
What to consider if you are granting a lease:
- Do you require a personal guarantee or a rent deposit from the tenant or both?
- Are you going to give consent to the tenant to carry out alterations?
- Are you going to grant a lease that is automatically renewable?
- Do you want the opportunity to terminate the lease before the end of the term?
We also provide the following services:
- Buying and selling commercial property
- Management of property portfolios
- Subletting, licences and surrenders
- Lease assignment
- Lease extensions and lease enfranchisement